1. I heard that there will be no more live sessions from now at IOU?
From Fall 2015 semester, the IOU has introduced a revised model of tutorial support which has replace the previous system of live sessions (that required students to be online at specific times) with supplementary recorded tutorial sessions for some of our undergraduate and postgraduate degree, diploma and certificate programs in sha Allah. The recordings of these supplementary tutorial sessions are available 24/7 for the students to watch online and download. Students can pause and repeat the recordings of the supplementary tutorial sessions in order to develop better understanding, take extensive notes, review certain parts, and to revise as necessary.
2. In which courses this revised model of tutorial support will be implemented?
This mode is implemented for all the courses except MAIS courses and the courses which are offered for the first time at the Degree campus.
3. In which courses the live session will still be conducted?
As of now, the revised model of tutorial support will not apply to the following courses:
- All courses of MAIS degree program
- TAJ 101 and TAJ 102 courses of the BA in Islamic Studies program
- Courses launched for the first time at the Degree Campus
4. Will the revised model of tutorial support be applied to Tajweed courses?
No, this model will not apply to Tajweed courses.
Tajweed live sessions will be held. For details, you can go here.
5. How will be attendance marks given in the revised model of tutorial support? Will I receive marks if I watch the recorded supplementary sessions conducted by the tutorial assistants?
In the courses where the revised model has been implemented, there will be no marks allocated for watching the recorded supplementary sessions conducted by the tutorial assistants. However, students are encouraged to watch them to have a better understanding of the course material. The 5% marks of the live session attendance have now been added to the assignments - increasing it to 15%.
The evaluation scheme of the revised model is as follows:
This revised evaluation scheme will provide opportunity to the students to secure more marks for the efforts exerted in the research conducted for the assignments.
6. How will the students clarify their doubts pertaining to the course materials in the absence of live sessions?
The student-teacher interaction will remain the same as before, where they will have the opportunity to contact the tutorial assistants via the designated Ask the TA forums for each course to clarify their doubts about the study materials, engage in intellectual discussions, and to have group discussions. Thus, enabling the IOU to adopt a student-centered study environment.
In addition, there will be 2 live sessions per course per semester - one before the midterm exam and one before the final exam - where students may interact with the TA live and ask any questions they have related to the course. Attendance in these sessions is optional. The recordings will be available to watch online and download.
7. From where can I access the "Supplementary Tutorial Sessions Recordings"?
It can be available at either of the following 2 places:
- Under the header "Supplementary Tutorial Sessions Recordings" at the top of the course page.
- Under the alternative Modules.
8. Will I get graded for watching the "Supplementary Tutorial Sessions Recordings"?